The IPT Group is a large, prominent player with an imposing footprint across the globe. The International IPT MBD team underpins the Group’s success through a wide range of high profile campaigns, events and client development activity, going to market across five sub-groups, in a fast paced environment.
The five IPT sub-groups are: Data Protection & Cyber, Commercial Contracts, Tech & Sourcing, Soft IP, and Patents.
The International IPT MBD team provides the operational and strategic hub for the Group - helping Partners and senior lawyers to attract and retain profitable client relationships, managing market profile and developing a sense of community within the Group in order to build strong and cohesive client teams.
The International IPT MBD team forms part of a larger international MBD team based in locations across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific, with a strong core team based in the UK and Australia. The team also works closely with US IPT Marketing counterparts.
This role will lead and support a broad range of areas to help the firm and Group enhance its profile with clients, in the market generally, and win profitable business.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Work closely with partners and senior lawyers in order to develop and action strategic business development initiatives; including the development and execution of sub-group MBD plans (aligned to the International IPT Strategy FY21-23), maintaining and progressing the MBD connectivity with sub-groups (regular calls etc.) required to deliver these plans and lead all supporting activity
- Support Partners/fee-earners on fostering and strengthening key client relationships via client targeting programmes (FOCUS Accounts), with a view to increase cross-selling opportunities within the Group and the wider firm
- Championing the regular documentation of credentials by Partners/fee-earners for sub-groups
- Support Partners/fee-earners on development of innovative products/tools, and associated marketing campaigns and/or thought leadership
- Report on marketing campaign and initiatives results and ROI
- Leverage the power of our internal systems and utilise data analytics, to provide a smarter marketing & BD service and experience to the Group
- Work closely with our IPT Knowledge team to identify key issues affecting clients, and collaborate with Partners/fee-earners and the Knowledge team to bring related thought leadership and client alerts to market
- Create and execute targeted marketing campaigns and deliver engagements/events designed to raise our firm's and Group's profile and win new business from target audience/s
- Manage the production of marketing and business development content from concept through to distribution
- Work closely with the digital marketing team to create and manage content for digital marketing channels, in particular to profile our subject matter experts
- Work with Partners and the PR team to manage relationships with the media and proactively seek out the most appropriate press coverage
- Advise on pitch qualification and strategy, prepare pitch documents, manage rehearsals for new business pitches and perform pitch debriefs
- Work with Partners/fee-earners to identify opportunities arising from industry association memberships (e.g. new business, speaking opportunities)
- Arrange insightful research on companies, industry sectors and countries
- Coordinate and add value to the main legal directories and awards
- Identify and organise networking and profile-raising opportunities for the lawyers with clients and prospects, such as seminars and webinars
- Organisational support for Global Group Conference
In order to deliver the areas of key responsibility identified above, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Shape and manage projects and campaigns
- Evaluate and present information to demonstrate business advantage
- Contribute information and ideas to the MBD strategy and sub-group plans
- Create competitive and effective operational and communication plans
- Manage and maintain competitive products/services or portfolios and develop them to meet future business needs
- Establish and develop effective support for channels to market
- Manage and report on project delivery against plans, budgets and objectives
- Use information on marketing systems to make strategic decisions and identify design requirements
- Measure the effectiveness of marketing activities
- Coordinating internal business development sub-group meetings with fee earners, including running agendas, recording key actions and ensuring implementation of actions
- Help create and build effective IPT client solutions
- Encourage and help others develop their competencies relevant to their marketing role
- Embrace change - influence others to modify their behaviours and attitudes where necessary
- Build relationships with other functions and disciplines within DLA Piper
- Be involved in activity which promotes the overall well-being and/or standing of the business; evaluate ethical codes to ensure marketing activities are compliant
- Develop and manage budgets demonstrating analytical skills to interpret financial information
The job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time.
The successful candidate must have:
- A Degree or equivalent qualification
- A high level of written and oral communication skills. In addition you will be expected to have strong probing, consultative listening skills coupled with the ability to negotiate and persuade senior legal and client personnel
- The ability to display a consistently positive and proactive attitude and demonstrate a collaborative working style; operating both as an individual and as part of a wider team
- A deep knowledge of marketing & BD processes for professional services - a sound understanding of new business processes, digital marketing, CRM and the emerging technologies that will help us win and retain legal work
- An exemplary professional approach and demonstrably high levels of commitment and internal client care
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Demonstrable experience in demanding, partner-led international environments, where success has depended on an ability to:
o multi-task and work to deadlines
o manage conflicting priorities and expectations in a robust and fast-paced atmosphere
o perform at a consistently high standard
o remain calm and composed in what are often demanding situations
o see delegated tasks through to completion at a high standard
- A proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information
- High level of literacy in IT and marketing systems - Excel, Word, Powerpoint, MS Teams and Outlook are essential; experience of InterAction / CRM and design software would be beneficial
- Sales techniques and coaching skills
- Ability to understand and identify with the firm, its objectives and values
This job description is not designed to be exhaustive and can be varied, as required, to develop, or fulfil, the role.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold - we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional - we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
We know that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
PRE - ENGAGEMENT SCREENING
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we may conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction.