As DLA Piper goes through unprecedented change, growth and evolution, it is essential that we have an international approach to developing the skills and capabilities required of our employees and partners both now and in the future. The Senior L&D Manager role is central to this goal.
The purpose of the role is to contribute towards the firm's global vision by enabling our people to acquire the skills and capabilities to be successful. The Senior L&D Manager is responsible for partnering with the HR team to identify learning and development requirements across the international business. The role is also responsible for the leading a team of L&D Managers; developing capability and acting as a coach and mentor to enable their team to drive one firm learning.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In conjunction with the overall strategy, develop, evolve and implement the firm's learning strategy, plan and practices
- Contribute to the future Academy strategy to drive continuous improvement and utilisation
- Act as a member of the L&D Leadership Team, facilitating and leading conversations to identify the firm’s capability priorities
- Act as a role model for one firm learning; building the governance, practices, capability and culture to achieve a more learner driven approach
- Lead a team of L&D managers responsible for consulting with stakeholders to ascertain what learning is required to deliver the components of the business strategy
- Develop the capability in the team to build practices and programmes that enable one firm learning
- Coach, mentor and support the team to achieve engagement, wellbeing and career success
- Allocate projects and priorities to the team which align to and deliver the L&D strategy
- Manage the learning budget across agreed regions, forecasting spend and ensuring return on investment
- Enable the HR community, supporting them with relevant learning and development expertise, thought leadership and best practice
- Build strategic relationships to identify current and future capability requirements
- Provide an access point to learning providing information, advice and guidance about all areas of L&D across the firm
- Attend leadership meetings and events to communicate and embed the Academy and new way of working
- Act as learning specialist through expertise on common international learning requirements and learning innovations to deliver learning projects and programmes
- Work with stakeholders and subject matter experts to translate learning needs into compelling, high impact learning experiences
- Ensure a blended learning approach for all learning experiences; with minimal time away from the business for participants and maximum impact
- Use learning metrics and feedback to measure impact and improve learning products and services
- Undertake continuous research to develop and drive learning best practice across the firm
- Identify and lead opportunities to align and integrate the values and diversity and inclusion across the learning and development products and services
- Facilitate learning, face to face and virtually, for both the DLA Academy and team away days
A sound knowledge of human resource fundamentals, with a solid focus on all aspects of learning and development. This would be developed through extensive experience in an in-house learning and development role. A proven track record across multiple geographies, varied skill sets and multiple and varied client groups
- People leadership; coaching, developing and motivating a team of specialists
- Subject matter expert in learning and development best practice
- Solid evidence of the ability to apply this knowledge to the development and implementation of learning and development strategies, programmes and initiatives
- Designing, developing and embedding high impact, innovative learning solutions to drive business performance and grow capability in an international organisation
- Proven experience of transforming ways of working, delivering innovation and managing change in a complex organisation
- Experience of engaging international HR Business Partners to deliver learning and development solutions
- A relationship builder who is highly adept at internal stakeholder and third party management
- Strengths in networking and partnering - Internally and externally
- Consultancy; identifying, analysing, planning and delivering priority projects
- Supplier Management; sourcing and managing external suppliers
- Facilitation; experience facilitating learning experiences across a diverse range of topics and audiences
- High level of professionalism and personal accountability
- Able to challenge and influence constructively, combined with high levels of resilience
- Pragmatic thinker, with a curiosity and passion for driving best practice and realistic innovation
- Comfortable operating with ambiguity, demonstrating a flexible and collaborative working style
- A self-starter, who is able to work on their own initiative
- Proactive and enthusiastic
- A strong team player who thinks internationally
- A well-developed commercial acumen, with the ability to understand the wider impacts of decision making
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable managing ambiguity
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper we are working hard to ensure that our talent pool is diverse. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual.
We know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued and that's why we strive to be a business where everyone can thrive, develop and succeed based on their talent. Our aim is to build an inclusive and supportive culture where all our people feel they belong and can achieve their best. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to join us, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people identifying as LGBTI, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people with disability.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.