DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
DLA Piper Netherlands is a dynamic and growing team. We enjoy the benefits of a global law firm, with the advantages of a human-sized office in Amsterdam. Our team has a wealth of expertise in a broad range of practice groups.THE ROLE
As a Finance Manager at DLA Piper in the Netherlands, you will work in a dynamic and ambitious organisation that is constantly evolving internationally and developing its people. You will interact with internal stakeholders such as Partners, lawyers, HR, Marketing & Business Development and other business services as well as with central Finance departments based in the UK. You will be the point of contact for external parties such as banks, tax authorities and external accountants, as well as for all financial aspects relevant to local supervisory bodies such as Bureau Financieel Toezicht (BFT) and the Dutch Bar association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten). You will be a member of the Management Team, that consists of the Country Managing Partner, the HR Lead, the Marketing & Business Development Manager and a Business Manager. In this role you will be expected to think about the organisation more broadly than just from a financial perspective.
You will be responsible for managing the planning & control cycle, ensuring that the right financial controls are in place and safeguarding compliance with local and international policies and regulations. You will play an active role in monitoring and analyzing the performance of the office on all levels - office, practice groups, individual practices, clients and matters. In the local Management Team you will represent Finance, but moreover show the ability to look beyond the numbers, challenge the status quo and contribute to balanced decision making aimed at bringing the office forward.
The ideal candidate holds a Master level degree in Accounting or Business Economics, with at least eight years of progressive experience in Finance and the ambition to grow and further professionalise the service offering of the team.MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESTeam management
Commercial / Operational
- Managing the Finance team, including recruitment, mentoring and people development.
- Providing financial support, which will include leading the annual budget process and quarterly forecasts, interpreting centrally provided financial data on KPIs and working capital and analyzing financial performance
- Developing and driving a strong cultural focus on financial hygiene amongst partners and fee earners, playing a proactive role in managing working capital
- Maintaining and where needed optimizing of Finance processes to ensure proper financial accounting and partner accounting
- Ensuring an adequate system of internal control is in place and safeguarding compliance with local and Group accounting policies
- Ensuring timely and accurate filing of local tax, regulatory and statutory reports, including annual accounts, corporate income tax declarations, VAT declarations and wage tax
External / Internal interfaces
- Involvement in various local and international projects, with the implementation of a new global ERP system as the main project to focus on
- Maintaining relationship with the local bank for day to day transactions, providing cashflow forecasts and working with the central treasury team
- Managing the payroll in close cooperation with the HR department and the external payroll provider
- Being the point of contact for the central Finance teams and the Global Services Centre of DLA Piper
- Being on-hand as the 'go to' person for all financial topics for the Netherlands office
- Managing the relationship with local auditors and other authorities
- Liaising with local tax advisors and the central tax team regarding topics such as transfer pricing
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and be fluent in Dutch and English
- Self-starter, being able to work on own initiative as well as being part of a team, with a strong client service focus
- Solid understanding of contemporary Finance practices ideally in a professional Services environment
- Significant experience in the finance function of an international organisation
- Strong knowledge of local accounting rules and local statutory reporting requirements and preferably IFRS
- Comfortable operating in sometimes ambiguous situations, demonstrating a flexible and collaborative personal working style
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working to conflicting timescales on multiple priorities in a robust and fast-paced environment
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and leadership experience to work with colleagues throughout the International firm
- Possess the relevant experience and qualification in the Finance field including an appropriate professional accounting qualification
- Eager to develop finance knowledge and progress within the organization
- Last but not least, embrace and share the DLA Piper values
Do you recognize yourself in this profile? Apply via our website. If you have any questions about this vacancy, please contact our Recruiter Ilona Spijkerman via ilona.spijkerman@dlapiper or 020-5419377.
DLA Piper is a
global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the
Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach
ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the
world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering
quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and
innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from
multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies
developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public
we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by
- Be Supportive
- we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative
- we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold
- we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional
- we exceed standards and expectations
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We support anyone with a disability or long term health condition to ensure they have the opportunity to perform at their best. If you have not done so already, please let us know if you require any support so we can make the right adjustments and considerations should they be required.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.