DLA Piper is accelerating investment in its eDiscovery strategy and capability for Australia and the wider Asia Pacific market. The EDM Regional Manager – APAC serves a key role on the Electronic Data Management (EDM) team, as a primary point of accountability for building alignment and consistency in our response to large scale eDiscovery reviews and service delivery to our clients, as well as in our engagement with the various regulators, courts, and tribunals that the firm connects with daily. This is an exciting opportunity to manage a talented team of eDiscovery experts, and to drive profitable growth of the EDM function across Asia Pacific.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Whilst this list is not exhaustive, we anticipate that some of the key areas of focus and responsibility will require the successful applicant to:
- Manage a team of individual contributors supporting every stage of the e-data lifecycle across multiple matters, in partnership with DLA Piper lawyers, clients, and panel providers, providing proactive consultative advice and technical expertise at each stage
- Build strong relationships with key Litigation and Regulatory stakeholders and firm clients, and provide expert technical and process guidance for all eDiscovery workflows, leveraging the latest approaches in AI and analytics;
- Serve as the primary project management resource on key matters, in collaboration with direct reports
- Monitor and horizon scan for eDiscovery and e-data developments, including legal/regulatory changes and launch of new/enhanced products and services, to ensure that our offering remains competitive
- Manage risk on and across matters by evaluating quality control measures and documentation, strategizing to pre-empt and correct mistakes, communicating challenges, and escalating issues internally and externally where appropriate
- Mentor, lead, and delegate project tasks to colleagues to enable on-time deliverables
- Provide technical expertise, leadership and training to the project management team
- Maintain relationships with trusted third-party providers, and hold each accountable by quality-reviewing work product and managing to service levels
- Foster collaboration across EDM, Litigation and Regulatory, and Business Service functions to deliver holistic solutions for client challenges
- Provide business development and marketing support, including the creation of internal and external collateral, responding to RFPs and participating in pitches
- Manage the finances of each matter, including developing, documenting, and tracking project budgets, adjusting budgets as appropriate, and communicating changes in budgets (internally and to clients)
- Maintain a high level of utilisation, thereby contributing directly to the Group’s revenue; and
- Facilitate continuous improvement and education around the firm’s international offices, leading training seminars, and providing on-going development to staff and partners
This role is designed to deliver e-disclosure and e-data capability for a range of service needs across the international firm. Whilst we do not indicate a specific level of experience required for any of our vacancies, we are ideally seeking an individual with significant skill, experience and characteristics as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, CIS, accounting, finance, business administration, economics, mathematics or law
- Expertise at all stages of the eDiscovery lifecycle through experience developed at a large international law firm, e-data service provider, consultancy, or similar
- Strong and proven personnel and project management experience
- Advanced decision making and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated success in bringing teams together in collaboration
- Ability to interact confidently with lawyers, partners and external providers
- Advanced stakeholder management skills, and the capacity to flex working and communication style dependent on situational variables, such as jurisdiction, discipline or function
- Persuasive, with the ability to challenge stakeholders where appropriate, using data driven insights to inform approach and convince others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage time and tasks around intense deadlines for clients, with a proven track record of delivery
- Experience with a range of eDiscovery platforms, including (but not limited to) Relativity and Nuix
- Project management, eDiscovery, or platform certifications (e.g., Relativity Certified Administrator, Relativity Analytics Specialist) would be advantageous
- Proficiency in scripting or programming languages (e.g., SQL, Python, JS) is desirable
- Extensive experience with eDiscovery analytics and AI (continuous active learning) is required
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.
1484 | Australia | Melbourne | Sydney