Our Platform. Your Potential.
With 250 Partners in the UK and revenues of approximately £0.5bn per annum, the UK business operates via seven practice groups and is a leading law firm in the UK.
We are now looking for an experienced, qualified finance professional to join us as UK Finance Business partner. This key role within the UK Finance structure will work closely with stakeholders such as the UK Head of Finance, Country Managing Partner, Partners and the wider UK leadership team to help manage, steer and maximise the financial and commercial performance of the UK business.
It will provide commercial insights and work collaboratively with key stakeholders to drive improvements to profitability, financial reporting/ forecasting, processes, and the control environment. It will also act as the day-to-day liaison between the UK finance team and the central finance teams to ensure the delivery of core financial operational and control processes, so that all aspects of finance are delivered effectively to the UK business.
- Understand the key business drivers and explain the link between these drivers and the financial results
- Provide detailed insights and make connections between HR, operational and financial data, and market trends
- Provide business partnering support to UK partners and act as a liaison / escalation point to help resolve any billing, credit control or financial issues in any in a timely and effective manner
- Work with key stakeholders to develop, review and constructively challenge business cases
- Work with the pricing team to identify unprofitable clients and matters and ensure that appropriate recommendations are communicated back to the relevant partners
- Work with the UK Head of Finance and Credit control and billing teams to manage working capital and drive debtor days and WIP days down to target levels
- Build strong relationships with and keep connected to cross functional teams (HR, marketing, operations etc) and colleagues across the finance function
- Deputise for the UK Head of Finance in partner meetings and present key financial messages and recommendations
- Ensure that financial risks & opportunities are effectively managed, clearly communicated and understood by key stakeholders, proactively find ways to convert opportunities and mitigate risks
- Manage and improve the quality and timeliness of the monthly UK financial reporting packs, ensure the packs are delivered on time and provide high quality commentary and insight / recommendations
- Perform detailed monthly reviews of the P&L, B/S, and cash flows
- Ensure key stakeholders have a detailed understanding of the in month and YTD variances to forecast / budget
Budgeting & forecasting
- Lead the UK budget & reforecasting process and ensure we submit budgets and forecasts that are stretching but achievable and provide a credible baselines for comparisons vs actual results
- Support the UK Head of Finance by inputting into the development of a cashflow forecasting model and monthly cash flow forecasts
- Work with key stakeholders within the wider finance team to enhance the efficiency of finance processes, systems and controls
- Oversee regular balance sheet reviews and ensure that monthly balance sheet reconciliations are taking place
- Regularly assess UK financial controls vs the monthly compliance checklist, liaise with the compliance team and take action to address any financial risks / control weaknesses
- Management responsibility, including inputting into the development of the wider UK finance team
- Input and proactively get involved in the wider finance transformation programme, ensure that any UK issues are clearly communicated to the transformation team
- ACCA / ACA / CIMA qualified with significant PQE experience
- Experience of working in a complex Finance Business Partnering role and experience of working with senior stakeholders
- A high degree of commercial acumen with exceptional analysis and evidence of applied strategic thinking and problem solving
- Strong financial modelling skills, ability to update, operate and develop financial models
- Excellent written and verbal communication and has strength of personality to ensure the Finance view is represented well to different types of audience
- Influencing and negotiating skills, to be able to impact on senior stakeholders’ decisions and to gain respect as a trusted advisor
- A continuous improvement mentality to support development of self, colleagues and business processes and interactions
- Excellent time management skills, able to manage stakeholders during times of conflicting deliverables and proven experience of delivering on simultaneous tasks
- Able to work independently, appropriately delegating work to central finance teams, and supporting them to understand the delivery requirements
- Experience of working in a professional services firm, people business or a law firm is desirable but not essential
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers and business service professionals located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive – we are compassionate and inclusive, valuing diversity and acting thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative – we are proactive, passionate team players investing in our relationships
- Be Bold – we are fearless and inquisitive, challenging ourselves to think big and find creative new solutions
- Be Exceptional – we are strategic and driven, exceeding standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper, diversity and inclusion underpins how we live our values and everything we do. We believe that everyone has a voice, and that everyone’s voice counts. We know that the rich diversity across our firm makes us stronger, more innovative and creative, which helps us to better serve our clients and communities. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment and culture across our global firm, where everyone can bring their authentic self to work.
Diversity of perspective, thought, background and culture combine to make us the leading global law firm; that’s why we actively seek to build balanced teams. We welcome the unique contribution that you will bring to our firm and actively encourage applications from all talented people – however your talent is packaged, whatever your background or circumstance and regardless of how you identify.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That’s why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits and where relevant, we will conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and work-related references.
3718 | United Kingdom | Leeds | Manchester | Sheffield